November 25, 2010
Dear fam:
I have definitely learned that the more you teach something, the more you learn about it. I now know what people say by they learned more than the students did when they prepared the lesson or talk.
I had an incident that just about took my life this week. We were riding on the sidewalks, like normal, but with all the snow and the ice and it was garbage day. I had both of the polys in front of me so I couldn’t really see to far in front of me. Well, I hit a trashcan with my handlebars. I flew over the top and that’s the last thing I remember. The other elders told me I was in the middle of the road when a big black guy ran from the other side of the road – there is a busy road with 4 lanes of traffic- and pulled me off the road onto the sidewalk. Once I woke up everyone was freaking out. All I really had was a bloody hand and super bruised and a little bloody head, but not much. My patriarchal blessing is so true = ) I was in bed for about 2 days but I’m up to full speed again. (any of you who may not know, whenever he hits his head he always gets knocked out – it happened several times on the wrestling mat, so him going “out” isn’t really a surprise to me . . . in 4 lanes of traffic, will that’s a bit of a worry!)
I have not been cold yet. Dry is another story. Since it is so wet, none of my clothes are water proof any more. Do you think you could send some stuff out here? I got the gloves, they are perfect, thank you for doing that so fast. (bet he was really surprised considering he thinks I’m old and can’t remember anything!)
IMPORTANT!! Come to find out the other Elder Baker is out in the field now, so if you could please have people who write me put Elder Rhett Baker on the letters, please and thank you.
No Alberta this week. We can’t really understand her at all. It’s just about impossible to understand her on the phone. We had an appointment the day I had my little incident and we haven’t been able to find her again yet.
We got in contact with Mark and Brindy. We also started to teach some of their family, Dawin and Kaa. They are 11 year old twins. They all seem very excited about the gospel, but it’s rough because, well, kids will be kids. Mark and Brindy speak a different language than Alberta, so having them translate doesn’t work.
Vernon, yes the weird guy that he is. He has been drunk the last few times we went over there and he decided he needed to be sober, so he is going to this AAA thing over in Minneapolis and will be living there until he is sober for a while. He is a punk for not leaning on the Lord’s help, but at least he wants to take that step.
Good job Alex, that a boy for doing that. (he dislocated his elbow in wrestling) I think every wrestler has to dislocate, break or get surgery to be a REAL wrestler, so hey, you’re one step closer buddy!
I realize that this is a once in a life time experience. I know it’s kind of backwards, but there is a song that says . . . you better lose your self in the moment, you better never let it go. You only get one shot, do not miss your chance, this opportunity comes once in a life time. I have been singing that song alot in my head . . . no worries there.
I forgot to mention that Elder Katoa and I are staying here in the Shingle Creek North. He will have his 6 month b-day this transfer. It’s crazy to think he has been in the same area this whole time. Elder Emrich left, he is back in California now. On Saturday we had a little get-to-gether. He made so much food and we ate so much, then we talked for a long time. It was so nice to be able to really talk with people. When I was with Elder Kinikini we never did that. So I am super glad to be here where we can talk and be with people. (It was transfer week . . . 2nd transfer of his mission, during a mission there are 14 transfers, just in case you wanted to know!)
Elder Hess took Elder Emrichs place. He is a good guy, he has been out 10 months. He is supposedly really smart, he received the prophets scholarship – but he talks and acts just like anyone else, he may just fit in! (I guess he doesn’t remember that MarjAnn got that scholarship as well, and she is his sister and fairly normal!)
Let’s see . . . ooo we had Stake Conference on Sunday. We had April and Eddie come with their kids Jazmine and Morgan. They are both super small. April is a member and Eddie has taken the discussions before but dropped the elders and now he actually wants to be baptized. They are not married and they are not living together which makes life a lot easier. However they are financially struggling. I have been able to learn some ins and outs with that situation. We relay info from April to Bishop and back and forth. April had a near drowning experience a few years ago and she is a little bit handicapped now. But, back to Stake Conference. President Paynter (Rhett lives with Pres. Paynter) talked about tithing. He said, “I have been preparing my talk for a few months, but nothing seemed to be right. Finally last night it came to me what I should talk about and it’s tithing. I don’t know why I’m talking about it, but I know that the Lord knows all and that his purposes are perfect.” It was cool because he sounded a little like Nephi when he says . . . I know not save the Lord commands it. I think that part of the reason President talked about it was for April and Eddie. I think it really hit home for them, I just hope they will pay their tithing.
I’m sorry my brain is so disorganized. We are going to the turkey bowl this morning, (IS THAT WISE WITH A HEAD INJURY?) and I’m excited to do that in all the ice and snow.
Back to April and Eddie . . . The first time we went over there I was with Elder Tuimunga, he is huge, like 350 and 6’7” and when we got there we both turned to each other and said, I don’t feel good about this, after the lesson, Eddie said, “Can you bless this home? April hasn’t been able to sleep and neither have the kids. “ He said he thought there was evil spirits there. We confirmed that we had felt that evil was there. I did the blessing and casting out. It really was a very spiritual thing and really neat. They have felt really good since then and there is a good feeling there now.
Well, there are other emails to go and find so I love you all, hope the turkey and stuff is wonderful.
Elder Baker
No comments:
Post a Comment