Tuesday, September 21, 2010

September 20, 2010

We are on exchanges right now.  Elder K is at a training meeting for a huge change in the mission . . . well, actually it's worldwide.  I'll talk about that later. 
The Book of Mormon reading will start on Wednesday when I meet back up with Elder K.
All I can think of in the next box is Mitch's trench coat and my "man in the glass" quote.  I think after that I should be set for awhile.  I think for Christmas I may want a GPS.  I still can't figure this place out.  There's no geographic things to know where you are.  You just have to look at a map and a compass.  The compass because the cloud cover is pretty much 24-7 and it has rained every other day here, so it's been very different.
The teaching pool is good I guess.  We have 3 investigators and 4 or 5 potions (?) (potential?)- we just got to get a hold of them and make contact.
My companion and I get along good.  he loves to talk and be silly, so it makes for a lot of fun sometimes.   He teaches me stuff all the time.  I just follow in his shadow and do what he tells me.  He does most of the talking and stuff.  I have tried to help him so I can learn more, but he doesn't let me do much.  All is well.  He says I am very humble everyday, so I try to live up to what Mitch and Spence and everyone else told me about being a greenie and how I need to listen and be humble, so I'm trying.
It's about flipping time that Joyce and Scott get married, good for them.
This week has been a week of learning.  A few sundays ago we were asked to share our testimonies and then last week we said the prayers and then this week we blessed the sacrament.  that has been fun.  Next I think is a talk.  I hope I will be ready for that one.  All this has been last minute.
Also we had a training on Thursday.  President is so intense.  The change world wide is tracting.  Slowly and surely we will be moving away from that.  Only inspired tracting will be done.  There's a missionward cycle or something.  Ask dad about that, he may know what it is.  But it's pretty much where we just do reactivation and get part-member families to be full member families and we work off of referrals as well.  super fun.  Just rolling with the punches on that one.  Change has been pretty much a daily thing.  Change must be good, or at least righteous change is good.
Sometime I think it was last Wednesday, we ran into a Baptist preacher and a Lutheran and some sort of Priest, I forget.  We had like a 30 minute conversation with all of them.  At the end of the conversation, well we didn't talk too much, they did all the talking.  But they would always say that our eyes are closed and we need to open them and what not and we need to listen to others.  I thought, SHOOT, we just listened to you for the last little bit! So, that was funto talk to them and well, listen to them.  It think we should listen to each other . . . some people . . . I tell you what!
I can't remember what day it was, but we were tracting, just doing our thing.  It was about 8:20 pm and we rang this door bell . . . then knocked . . . just like any other door and then we moved on.  About 2 doors later, some guy came out on his balcony - started yelling and cussing and just not being nice at all.  He said he would call the cops on us . . . and he did~! That was tons of fun, being able to talk about the gospel to the cop a little bit.  We had done nothing wrong and all is well.  We can't knock doors after 10:00 pm and our curfew is 9:00 pm, so we are set.  no worries.
Another thing I learned this week is running is so much fun . . . but only when there is air to breath.  Elder K and I have been running this past week and it's good, but ruff.
oooo another thing is that people here say you must take your shoes off before you go inside the houses.  Tying and untying my shoes is not much fun.  So I think some time I will find a way to make it so my shoes are slip ons or something . . . maybe I'll get some duct tape and do it that way . . . (just kidding mom, calm down)
Thank you for sending me that little news clip thing from the news paper.  It was good to see that marana is still there and that the swim team is still the best and that football . . . well they keep trying.  GO TIGGGEEERS!  I miss those day of hard, hurling practies, good times, good times.
I hope this week is just as awesome as the last week and that it goes by just as fast.
I love you all.
Elder Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment